Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Is it really worth it???

This is the most common Qs that come to my mind whenever I go out for shopping (or someone asks me)… (mostly white goods) … whether to buy the latest – best of the breed vs. am I going to use any of these… something that looks good vs. something that is useful… I am sure every one of us faces this problem often…

When I bought my PC … I went for the high end motherboard and CPU… but today I realize that I actually wasted too much on it… I don’t use the core functionalities of the comp which it is capable of … and don’t think that I’ll be using it in the near future too…

Today, if anyone asks me about what to buy… I ask him what’s the purpose … actually, it is after I bought my PC, I realized the mistake I made … and remembered the words of wisdom given by Alok. I just reciprocate his words to others now…

First and foremost thing on deciding what to buy… what’s the prime purpose … what’s the utility… what’s the life cycle of the product… how long are you going to use it… would you be upgrading it (or buying a fresh piece again) … that also brings in Qs of product upgradeability… how much money is involved… what’s the value of the top line, just above product and just below product… what are the features provided and how many of them would you be using… or is it for show only!!! (something on the lines of I have the best… or blah! blah! blah! )

For example, if you are going for a TV (I just bought one)…
Go for most sustainable technology. Have a look at the TV and compare the picture and sound quality for a few of the pieces. If a X piece has extreme good clarity of picture but costs you exorbitantly extra… no point buying that… just go for the model below that…
That’s what I did. I bought a 21” Sony Wega. There were 4 models in this range. First one basic, second one with added feature, third one added with sound boosters and fourth was slightly high end (with some higher picture quality). I found that the difference between the picture qualities, though visibly different, was not so bad in the lower priced. And since I didn’t need sound boosters, I went for the second model…

Another example if you want to go for a mobile…
In my opinion, if you are going for the looks, go for the one that looks best to you… forget additional features (but ensure that basics are there). However, if you find s similar looking piece in relatively lower price… go for that… (a lot of variant have higher prices just for the model number series!). But if you are looking for the feature, make sure you go for the most economical one with most of the features you are going to use it. Further, best would be compromise on little of both and take the one with few new features and has some good looks…

It’s a fast changing market with new variants almost every new day. It’s better to make a worth decision and estimate future value (rather, estimate depreciation in value).

At the end of the day, you should feel happy owning it…

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]