Monday, February 04, 2008

 

Natural Linguistics ...

Note: this is NOT my creation ... picked up from somewhere on web ...
note the Bold letters


Interesting … a line with no punctuation required can deliver so many meanings...

· "I never said she stole my money" - Someone else said it, but I didn't.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I simply didn't ever say it.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I might have implied it in some way, but I never explicitly said it.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I said someone took it, I didn't say it was her.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I just said she probably borrowed it.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I said she stole someone else's money.

· "I never said she stole my money" - I accused her of stealing my heart, but not my money.



Comments:
And interestingly enough, your post also shows that the language does give a way to convey the meaning without resorting to emphasis.

Does this mean that humans may, sooner or later, adapt to not using emphasis in their speech so that machines can understand us better? Would we end up having flat, carefully pronounced words so that we can be understood by machine and human alike? Or will technology advance to such an extent that machines would become better at recognizing human speech than us?

That leads me to another train of thought - would we ever accept speech recognition that is less than 100% accurate? People do make mistakes while listening to others, will we give the same leeway to computers?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]